Image Map

Monday, June 1, 2015

Reading Update.

May was kind of a slow month for me, in reading, that is.  It was so hectic with my birthday, mini-vacation, graduations, baby showers, plus visits to see G, and work (how could I forget work?...).  I really didn't have a ton of time to read like I would have liked.  I did get to read 4 books, though...three for the challenge and one just because I wanted to.  (I would have added it as my freebie, but it didn't qualify).

So what did I read, you ask?
Ella Enchanted, Gail Carson Levine
The Silent Wife, A.S.A. Harrison
Number the Stars, Lois Lowry**
Life After Life, Kate Atkinson


All were pretty fantastic.  Number the Stars and Life After Life were centered around World War II (which happens to be one of my favorite subjects to read about...morbid, I know).  And I honestly read Number the Stars in a total of two hours.  I know it's meant for children, but Lois Lowry is an excellent writer.  I always have a hard time putting her books down!

When I started Life After Life, I really thought it was going to take me weeks, maybe months, to finish it.  I don't normally read books over 500 pages because the mere thickness of the book becomes daunting to me, no matter how much I want to read it.  But after the first fifty or so pages, I was hooked.  The fact that Ursula's life starts over and over again so she can carry out the plan that was meant for her was genius!  I was anxious to always get to the next chapter to see what would be changed this go-around.  It has rightfully earned its place among my favorite books.

Backtracking now...The Silent Wife was a page-turner as well.  After reading the blurb on the back cover, I sort of knew what to expect.  A lot of people have compared it to Gone Girl, and since I have read all of Gillian Flynn's novels, I knew it would be one that I liked.  I do have to say, I never expected the ending.  What gratification, though...

Here's my updated challenge list, if you're interested......

5 points: Freebie! Read any book that fits the general rules.  The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins, 336 pages.  Done!
10 points: Read a book you have never heard of before. (Just go to a shelf and pick a book based on the cover, the title, whatever you want!)  The Silent Wife by A.S.A. Harrison, 326 pages.  (I picked it up out of the bargain section of the bookstore yesterday!)
10 points: Read a book that has been on your TBR list for at least two years. (If you've had a Goodreads account for 2+ years, this will be easy to figure out. If you don’t, do your best to pick a book you’re pretty sure you’ve been wanting to read for years.)  Three Cups of Tea: One Man's Mission to Promote Peace...One School at a Time by Greg Mortenson, 349 pages.
10 points: Read a book that won a Goodreads “Best Book” award in 2014.  All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr, 531 pages.  (This totally could have been in like 3 different categories!)
15 points: Read a book by an author who is completely new to you.  Beloved by Toni Morrison, 324 pages.
15 points: 
Read a book by an author you have read before. (No re-reads for this one.)  The Best of Me by Nicholas Sparks, 292 pages.
15 points: Read a book with "light" or "dark" in the title. (Or "lightness" or "darkness.")  The Light Between Oceans by M. L. Stedman, 343 pages.
20 points: Read a book with the name of a city, state or country in the title.  Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi, 356 pages.
20 points: Read a book with an animal on the cover.  Life of Pi by Yann Martel, 356 pages.
25 points: Read a book that is part of a series with at least four books.  The Scorch Trials by James Dashner, 360 pages.
25 points: Read a book that is longer than 500 pages long. — Submitted by winter finisher Kristen from See You in a Porridge Life After Life by Kate Atkinson, 544 pages. Just finished this one! Fantastic!
30 points: Read a book with an alliterative title. (All words in the title must begin with the same letter; no exceptions for articles or prepositions. Examples: Gone Girl or Nicholas Nickleby. Yes, this is tough, which is why it's worth the most points!)  Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine, 232 pages.  Done!

No comments:

Post a Comment